Our History

Terrill Road Bible Chapel is associated historically with the Plymouth Brethren.

It began in the late 1860s and by 1870 a small group of 15 to 20 believers were gathering together on Front Street in Plainfield.  In the 1880s Paul and Timothy Loizeaux moved with their familes to Plainfield and met with this small group and about this time F. C. Jennings, a gifted teacher and writer, joined the fellowship.  The Loizeaux brothers founded Bible Truth Depot, which for more than 100 years published Christian books and literature.  Over the years a number of men well known in Brethren circles have been in fellowship at TRBC for a time, F. W. Grant, Samuel Ridout, Inglis Fleming, John Smart, and Ed Harlow among them.

The Front Street meeting built a new chapel in the neighboring town of Fanwood in 1957 and since then has been called Terrill Road Bible Chapel. Others in leadership over the years include John Reid, Phillip Carter, John French, Ledley Perrin, Douglas Haggan, Robert Hansen, and William Patterson. The assembly has commended several people to the work of the Lord in Puerto Rico and Turkey and to itinerant ministry, to Emmaus Bible College, and other areas.

Cedarcroft Bible Chapel in South Plainfield also has its roots in the Front Street meeting.

[Some of this material was taken from the brethrenpedia.]